Lesson 31 - The Past Simple, Questions - "Did I ...?"

الخميس، 30 أبريل 2009

Remember It

In order to change an affirmative statement into a negative statement, did not is placed after the subject, and the form of the verb is changed to the bare infinitive.

Positive statement Negative statement
I worked. I didn't work.
You worked. (singular 1 and plural 1+) You didn't work.
He/She worked. He/She didn't work.
It worked. It didn't work
We worked. We didn't work.
They worked. They didn't work.

Learn It

The Past Simple - "Did I?"

To form a question use the conjugated helping verb 'did' + subject + infinitive.

Positive statement Negative statement Question ?
I worked. I didn't work. Did I work?
You worked. (singular 1 and plural 1+) You didn't work. Did you work?
He/She worked. He/She didn't work. Did he/she work?
It worked. It didn't work Did it work?
We worked. We didn't work. Did we work?
They worked. They didn't work. Did they work?

Did I/he/she/it/we/you/ they have something? do something? like something? want something?

Study the word order in these questions:-

did + subject + infinitive
Did he visit you?
What did you do yesterday?
Where did you go on holiday?
Who did you see at the park?
How did you do in your test?

Now let's ask Mr Bean what he did at work yesterday

"Mr Bean, what did you do yesterday?" Teacher "I taught a new class."
"What did you teach them?" English Flag "I taught them English."
"Did you walk to work?" Drive "No, I didn't walk, I drove."
"What time did you start work?" 9:00 "I started at 9.00 am."
"How many classes did you teach?" 3 "I taught three classes."
"Did you teach any evening classes?" Evening "No, I didn't."
"Did you teach English last Saturday?" Diary "Yes, I did."
"Did anyone else teach English yesterday?" Miss Smith "Yes, Miss Smith taught my old class."
"Did she teach on Saturday?" Diary "No, she didn't."
"What time did you finish work?" 4:00 "I finished at 4 o'clock."

0 التعليقات:

Custom Search

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP