Lesson 42 - Getting to know you

الخميس، 30 أبريل 2009

Learn It

To Like, To Look Like, To Be Like

The questions:-

What does he like?
What does he look like?
What would he like?
What is he like?
How is he?

What is the difference between these questions?

Check here!

Like

As a verb like can mean to enjoy or approve of.

For example:-

"I like your new car."

Like can also mean similar to or in the same way.

For example:-

Q. "What does he look like?" - A. "He looks like his brother."

The expression would like is used when we make requests and offers.

For example:-

"I' d like another glass of wine, please."

However "What is he/she/it like?" is a specific question about the personality of someone or the attributes of something, here you do not use like in the answer.

For example:-

Q. "What is he like?" - A. "He is very nice."

Q. "What is it like?" - A. "It is very reliable."


Some answers (about me):-

The question
What you would ask
My answer

What do I like to drink?

What do you like to drink?
I like tea and coffee, I also like wine and beer. I don't like alcopops.

What do I like to eat?

What do you like to eat?
I like pasta and pizza, I also like fruit. I don't like fatty meat.

What do I look like?

What do you look like?
I am medium height and a little overweight. I have long dark hair, a fair complexion and hazel eyes. Some people say that I am attractive, but I don't think I am.

Who do I look like?

Who do you look like?
Some people say I look like Nana Mouskouri. I don't think I do.

What am I like?

What are you like?
I think I am quite nice. My husband says that I am impatient, but I don't think I am. I think that I am very patient. A lot of people say that I have a good sense of humour.
What is my house like?
What is your house like?
It's quite small. It has a kitchen, bathroom, living room and two bedrooms.

!Note

  • Like is not normally used in the continuous form, you shouldn't say "I am liking ...".

0 التعليقات:

Custom Search

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP